A resurgent Penrith have moved into the NRL top eight for the first time this season after shutting out Gold Coast 24-2 on Friday night. The four-try rout seemingly puts another nail in the coffin of Titans coach Garth Brennan, whose side barely posed a threat at Panthers Stadium. The lopsided defeat comes just days before Gold Coast boss Mal Meninga hands down a mid-season review to the club's board, with Brennan's fate on the agenda. Brennan insisted he has been able to block out the speculation around his future, however was unsure whether the players are showing signs of distraction. "I can deal with it quite easily. I don't listen to it. I don't buy into it. I can't control it, but I'm in my mid-40s," Brennan said. "Some of these guys are in their late teens, early 20s, it may be affecting them a little bit. Probably the speculation (of), where does their future lie as well?" Two nights after helping steer NSW to a famous State of Origin triumph, veteran James Maloney backed up to lead the Penrith to a sixth straight win. The Blues playmaker set up two tries for winger Brian To'o, who impressed the 10,317 home crowd with his acrobatics in the corner.
Panthers halves look good to face Titans
First-choice halves pairing James Maloney and Nathan Cleary look set to line-up for Penrith in Friday's NRL clash against struggling Gold Coast. Panthers coach Ivan Cleary confirmed on Thursday that NSW five-eighth Maloney will back up after helping the Blues win this year's State of Origin series on Wednesday. "He seems pretty good, obviously happy with how everything turned out last night," Cleary said. "At this stage he's going to back up for us." Halfback Cleary was in the stands for the Origin decider after being ruled out due to an ankle injury but the No.7 will be given every chance to prove his fitness to face the Titans. The Panthers are chasing revenge after being one of just four teams to lose to the Titans in 2019 - a 30-24 defeat in round five. Since then the Panthers have gone from wooden spoon contenders to finals aspirants after a five-match winning run that has lifted them to 10th position. Cleary admitted the mid-season revival had altered his expectations and he was eyeing off a top eight finish.
Labels:
NRL-2019,
Penrith-Panthers
Panthers' resurgence claims Bunnies scalp
Penrith have recorded their 4th win in as many games to keep themselves in touch with the top 8, as they defeated Souths by 1 point in greasy conditions, 19-18 at ANZ Stadium. James Maloney played like he was auditioning for a Blues jumper as he kicked the match-winning field goal from an awkward position to give Penrith a 19-18 victory over an understrength Souths sides. In the fifth minute, after receiving back-to-back penalties, Souths opted to take a shot at a penalty goal, however Dane Gagai hit the upright from in-front and the ball bounced back into the field of play. Eight minutes later, Nathan Cleary opened the scoring with a penalty goal. In the 15th minute, a grubber into the Panthers' in-goal went straight to Cleary, who dropped it. Cameron Murray chasing through to try and tackle Cleary, forced the loose ball for a try under the posts. Adam Doueihi converted from right in front. Penrith responded just short of the 30 minute mark when they spread the ball left, where Maloney ran into a gap, drew the outside defender and then dished the ball to Viliame Kikau, who strolled through a huge gap to score a soft try. Cleary converted.
Labels:
NRL-2019,
Penrith-Panthers
Cleary weighs in on Origin loyalty debate
Ivan Cleary has launched a passionate defence of NSW halfback and son Nathan, saying the days of representative teams being based on form are "long gone". Penrith's disastrous NRL season has not only resulted in them occupying last spot, but left Nathan under serious pressure to retain his spot for State of Origin I. Former Blues No.7 Adam Reynolds is widely considered the main threat to Nathan's jumper after steering South Sydney to the top of the table. The selection dilemma has rekindled debate between loyalty and form ahead of Sunday's NSW Origin team announcement on Sunday night. However Ivan believes representative coaches in the modern era have shifted away from picking teams solely on how they are currently performing. "It may have been one day about picking the players that are in form. That's been long gone," Ivan said on Wednesday. "Rep teams haven't been picked like that for as long as I can remember." The Penrith coach claims the unrelenting pressure on representative coaches to succeed has forced them to select teams they believe can win the game.
Labels:
NRL-2019,
Penrith-Panthers
Bennett's brutal call on NSW Origin incumbents
South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett says incumbent NSW halves Nathan Cleary and James Maloney should be axed from the State of Origin opener next month. Bennett stopped short of saying they should be replaced with his red-hot halves Cody Walker and Josh Reynolds, but advised against retaining the out-of-form duo just because of a series win last year. Cleary and Maloney have struggled to get bottom-placed Penrith going this season and Bennett, who coached Queensland for seven series, said their form won’t change in a Blues jersey. “I’ll say what no one else wants to say, they cannot pick the halfback and five-eighth from last year,” Bennett said. “The positions they play, if you think you can go and play an Origin game in that type of form and be stars, it’s not going to happen. “If they’re forwards then maybe but not key playmakers. They’re all about confidence and you’ve either got it or you haven’t got it.
Labels:
NRL-2019,
Penrith-Panthers
Panthers v Warriors, Friday 6pm, Penrith Stadium
Panthers: 1. Dylan Edwards 2. Brian To'o 3. Dean Whare 4. Waqa Blake 5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 6.James Maloney 7. Nathan Cleary 8. James Tamou 9. Sione Katoa 10. Tim Grant 11. Viliame Kikau 12. James Fisher-Harris 13. Liam Martin 14. Jarome Luai 15. Tyrell Fuimaono 16.Moses Leota 17. Kaide Ellis 18. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 19. Hame Sele 20. Frank Winterstein 21. Caleb Aekins
Analysis: Josh Mansour has been dropped in favour of rookie Brian To'o. Dylan Edwards will resume his position at fullback pushing Caleb Aekins back to reserves. Waqa Blake is back after being dropped for disciplinary reasons. Sione Katoa takes over at hooker from Wayde Egan. Reagan Campbell-Gillard has been pushed to reserves.
Labels:
NRL-2019,
Penrith-Panthers
Tigers twenty minute tornado trashes Panthers
The Wests Tigers were the only side to not score a single point in the opening 20 minutes of games this season; they scored 24 points in the opening 20 minutes against the Panthers, their most in club history. 24 points it their equal second most points in a quarter (28 points in final 20 minutes v Sharks in Rd 21, 2005). It was also their most since scoring 24 in the final 20 minutes against the Raiders in Round 8, 2011. The Wests Tigers snap a five-game losing streak against the Panthers, winning their first game against Penrith since 2016. The Panthers have had four scoreless halves in the opening nine rounds; they only had three scoreless halves in 2018. Esan Marsters scored 14 points against the Panthers, the equal most by a West Tiger against Penrith in a single game (Joel Caine in 2000 and Benji Marshall in 2010).
Labels:
NRL-2019,
Penrith-Panthers
Subscribe to:
Comments (Atom)






